Statement of Purpose

Свои творения - на суд общественности

Модератор: Max

Nick

Statement of Purpose

Непрочитанное сообщение Nick » Пт ноя 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Уважаемые Форумчане!

Нижеприведенное вообще похоже на Statement of Purpose?

С благодарностью прийму любую конструктивную критику:)

The decision to apply to the ***** University’s department of finance is not spontaneous, and is the result of years of careful consideration and months of preparation.

In order to better understand all the aspects of my decision as well as my background I would like to deviate a little bit and tell some landmarks of my life. I have been growing up in the family where academic values and passion to the research work were the usual things, since my father is a former Assistant Professor at one of the top Ukrainian medical universities and holds a M.D. degree. But his life has changed significantly in the early 90s when he started running own business on the financial market. When I was nine he told me, “The importance of finance in the global economy may be compared with the value of the circulatory system in the organism”. Since I have been a child then, I didn't attach much importance to his words. Nevertheless, since my parents realized that finance is a blood of economic system, and studying finances without obtaining profound knowledge in economics is like being one-handed guitarist trying to play solo, I started attending private high school with the economic bias, where I was among 10% of the best students. When I was taking my classes of basics of the macroeconomics there, I realized that my father was absolutely right when he was talking about the similarity of circulatory system of a human organism and the world financial system, since the latter touches all the spheres of human beings, so does the circulatory system when it comes to human body. Since then I have become interested in finance science more and more and eventually decided to carry on my education at the university, where I could expand my financial and economical background.

Currently I am a senior student at the International Economics and Management department at one of the best economic universities in Ukraine - +++++ University.

While looking for an appealing theme of my term paper at the third year of my studying I have decided to choose the one called “Mergers and acquisitions in the international business”, where I have studied theoretical aspects of M&A, their classification and analyzed the empirical problems of such processes in Ukraine. Since I became interested in this topic a lot while completing my term paper, I am planning on continuing my studying and research on mergers and acquisitions issues through acquiring Ph.D. degree in Finance after being graduated from +++++ University with the bachelor’s degree diploma in international economics. Therefore, my short-term goals include strengthening my theoretical background in finance as well as economics, and concentrating on research of the empirical issues of corporate finance with the focus on mergers and acquisitions.

I was honored to have a short conversation with Professor *****, while which he told me, and of course, I read about this by myself, that ***** University’s Finance Department faculty is ranked #1 in the world in term of publications in top research journals. Therefore, I consider ***** University to be one of the top world educational centers, which provides its students with the deep knowledge, wide range of theoretical as well as practical challenges for examining and opportunity to work with and learn from some of the best adepts of the finance science. It will be an honor for me to carry on my studying finances, especially mergers and acquisitions with the help of such world-class faculty as Professor ***** and Professor *****, whose publications and academic interests influenced me significantly while choosing the most appealing school and program. Additionally, Professor ***** mentioned that he had written considerably on the subject of mergers and acquisitions and has plenty of research going on the subject and will be happy to work with me after being admitted to the ***** University Finance Department. Thus, I believe that ***** School of Business turns out to be the best possible place where I could obtain profound understanding of financial processes and conduct researches being supervised by some of the most eminent personalities in the realm of finance.

Having got acquainted with some of Professor *****’s publications and realizing that, today, I am far from the level of one of the world’s foremost researchers on mergers and acquisitions, nevertheless I believe that I will do my best in order to become a deserving apprentice of Professor *****.

I am hoping that admission committee considers my personal as well as academic background to be interesting, since it would be a great experience for me to become a part of big family of students, who are honored to study at the ***** University.

jtoylor

Re: Statement of Purpose

Непрочитанное сообщение jtoylor » Пт ноя 13, 2009 3:18 pm

Полагаю, вы уже прочитали статьи на большом градусе про стейтменты. Первое впечатление о сего ваяния:

"result of years of careful consideration and months of preparation" - пафос, информационный шум, который не несет особо информации и пропускается при беглом прочтении

"Currently I am a senior student at the International Economics and Management department at one of the best economic universities in Ukraine - +++++ University. " - я никогда не слышал о ++ University, вы можете кратко пояснить, почему он один из лучших ("в ++ U работают 20 лауреатов нобелевской премии по экономике", "студенты ++ U демонстрировали свои инновационные проекты на международном экон форуме в Ганновере", "++ U извествен всему миру исследованиями в области управления рисками в фискальной политике и cost-effective анализа деноминирования нац. валют латиноамериканских стран", ...)

"I am planning on continuing my studying and research on mergers and acquisitions issues" - выглядит как какая-то слишком узкая область. Вы уверены, что найдете программу/профессора в сфере Mergers&Acq?

"... through acquiring Ph.D. degree in Finance after being graduated from +++++ University with the bachelor’s degree diploma in international economics ..." - попробуйте писать маленькие предложения без наворотов и замеса причинно-следственных связей ("через получение phd степени в области финансов после окончания ++ U с дипломом бакалавра по международной экономике" - о чем речь? Вы в аспирантуру или в бакалавратуру хотите в ++ U?)

"Therefore, my short-term goals include strengthening my theoretical background in finance as well as economics" - слишком размытый план: "буду учить теорию по финансам и экономике."

"concentrating on research of the empirical issues of corporate finance" - вот вы все пишете про корпоративные финансы, но у вас нет реального опыта работы и исследований в этой сфере - вы ничего не говорите ни о стажировках в крупн. компаниях, ни о проведении каких-либо конкретных исследований/анализа в этой сфере. Выглядит все это как спекуляции на кофейной гуще.

"I am far from the level of one of the world’s foremost researchers on mergers and acquisitions" - забиваете гвоздь в крышку вашего гроба.

Что в итоге: студент, которому папа в детстве сказал "сынок, финансы - это круто", который окончил какой-то неизвестный undergrad колледж на Украине (в восточной Европе в среднем наука не бьет ключом, поэтому уровень знаний выпускников предположительно ниже уровня выпускника американского колледжа по экономике), который декларирует в одном предложении, что он чем-то занимался (что конкретно было сделано, почему это круто, каков исследовательский потенциал и мотивация у этого студента? Кто его научный руководитель и каковы его связи в академии? Почему этот студент лучше всех подходит для работы с конкретных профессором в аспирантуре и каковы его сильные и слабые стороны? Насколько он зрелый и сформировавшийся исследователь? Фиг знает), который не знает современного состояния дел в своей области (far from the level of one of the world’s foremost researchers), у которого нет никаких реалистичных планов о том, чем бы он хотел заниматься в grad school. Очень мало конкретики, много пафоса - темная лошадка. Бросаем эту папочку в мусорное ведро. Следующий!

Max
Site Admin
Контактная информация:

Непрочитанное сообщение Max » Пт ноя 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Вступление очень слабое. Оно должно цеплять и заинтересовывать в прочитывании всего остального. Стейтменты читаются по диагонали, и если они все одинаковы, то и отправляются в одинаковое ведро.

Слишком много "I", постарайтесь разбавить.

helloworld
Контактная информация:

Непрочитанное сообщение helloworld » Пт ноя 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Max писал(а):Вступление очень слабое. Оно должно цеплять и заинтересовывать в прочитывании всего остального. Стейтменты читаются по диагонали, и если они все одинаковы, то и отправляются в одинаковое ведро.

Вот чесно говоря не знаю про диагональ. Со мной решили провести интервью только из-за одного ключевого слова(название конференции) которое я написал в своем стейтменте. В любом случае нужно подходить к написанию "какой я хароший и умный" очень и очень внимательно.

Кстати вот мне не жалко, что я писал "от чистой души" :mrgreen:
I am interested in applying for the Ph.D. program in computer systems and networking in the Department of Computer Science at the Colorado State University.

Computer technology and applications in the recent past, have offered many breakthroughs to mankind in numerous areas of knowledge. As I observe this progress around me, I am amazed and inspired to become a part of the excitement in building new technologies that can improve the quality of life, increase productivity and help connect the world.

During my undergraduate studies in the Department of Informatics at the Samara State Aerospace University (SSAU), I worked diligently to understand the fundamentals of my area of study. This helped me to systematically analyze and obtain solutions to complex problems. At SSAU, I took a range of theoretical classes in mathematics, physics, and programming. It is through laboratory work though that I came to realize that the power of theory is in its application to the world upon which it is based. As a part of my studies, I had the opportunity to complete my undergraduate project titled “Creating of a measuring infrastructure for quality studying flow-based applications in a global network”, under the supervision of Prof. Andrei M. Sukhov (http://www.ip4tv.ru/sukhovs-home-page.html). This work has been supported by Russian Foundation for Basic Research (RFBR) under the grant 06-07-89074-а.

In March 2006, I joined a network company called Internet TV Ltd., a start up company, which created an Internet educational broadcast channel over the Samara Regional Network for Science and Education (SamaraNet). The network interconnects all state Universities, the majority of private higher education establishments, all institutes of the Russian Academy of Science, major libraries, clinics and municipal bodies. In Internet TV Ltd., I obtained hands-on experience with networking equipment such as *nix (Linux, FreeBSD) servers, Cisco routers, video and proxy streaming servers, and also got a closer look at the deployment of advanced Internet technologies such as H.323 videoconferencing, IP telephony and IEEE 802.11 wireless networking.

During my research work under the supervision of Prof. Andrei M. Sukhov, I installed and supported the measurement infrastructure for research of quality of Internet applications. During fall 2006, I participated with engineers of the RIPE Network Coordination Centre (RIPE NCC) in Test Traffic Measurements (TTM) project, which measures key parameters of the connectivity between a point and other points on the Internet. In March 2007, I installed the first Test Traffic Box in Russia at SamaraNet, which allows monitoring results of delay measurements, packet loss rates, delay variations (jitter), routing information, NTP-servers, DNS Monitoring systems. Moreover, I participated in deploying additional measurement boxes in Russia, which were installed in Institute of Organic Chemistry of Russian Academy of Science (FREEnet), Moscow, and in South Federal University, Rostov-on-Don.

I presented the measurement results, based on my scientific and innovation activity, at several Russian conferences such as Scientific service in Internet, 2006, Russian Electronic Academic and Research Network Association, 2006, Telematika, 2006. Also, the “Criterion of Internet connection quality” and “Organization of a direct broadcasting on the basis of the Internet technologies” papers had been published in peer-reviewed journal Telecommunication, 2007, translated in to English as an attachment to Telecommunications and Radio Engineering, Begell House. Inc. Besides, the “Mobile gateway in research and education of Internet TV” paper received the second prize of All-Russian contest of undergraduate and postgraduate students and this work was distinguished by Microsoft, Oracle and Russian Association of Software Developers as absolutely best innovation project. In May 2008, I conducted a technical presentation in RIPE 56 Meeting at Berlin, Germany with the project titled “Estimation of available bandwidth and measurement infrastructure for Russian segment of Internet”. During fall 2008, Prof. Andrei M. Sukhov and me submitted “Active flows in diagnostic of troubleshooting on backbone links” paper to SIMUTools conference (Rome, Italy, March 2-6 2009) and we hope to participate in it.

After successful completion of my research work in Russia, I feel now well prepared to further develop my diverse academic background and research potential in a challenging Ph.D. program at Colorado State University. My research interests lie primarily in the sphere of computer systems and networking. I have the strongest intention to advance my research in these areas and I am confident that the Department of Computer Science at Colorado State University with its highly professional faculty and vibrant intellectual atmosphere is a perfect fit for me. I look forward to receiving an offer of admission with financial assistance.

Mikhail Strizhov
10th December 2008
Samara, Russia

Max
Site Admin
Контактная информация:

Непрочитанное сообщение Max » Пт ноя 13, 2009 8:23 pm

helloworld писал(а):
Max писал(а):Вступление очень слабое. Оно должно цеплять и заинтересовывать в прочитывании всего остального. Стейтменты читаются по диагонали, и если они все одинаковы, то и отправляются в одинаковое ведро.

Вот чесно говоря не знаю про диагональ. Со мной решили провести интервью только из-за одного ключевого слова(название конференции) которое я написал в своем стейтменте. В любом случае нужно подходить к написанию "какой я хароший и умный" очень и очень внимательно.
Ну слова написанные капслоком на фоне остального текста всегда привлекают внимание, особенно если аббревиатуры близки к сердцу.

quix

Непрочитанное сообщение quix » Сб ноя 14, 2009 12:12 pm

helloworld писал(а):under the supervision of Prof. Andrei M. Sukhov (http://www.ip4tv.ru/sukhovs-home-page.html).
А разве SOP отправляется в эл. виде при заполнении application form ?
Я думал лист с SOP нужно вложить в конверт вместе с транскриптами.
Со мной решили провести интервью только из-за одного ключевого слова(название конференции) которое я написал в своем стейтменте
helloworld, а как вы пришли к этому выводу? Вы контактировали с универом (профессорами, приемной комиссией) до поступления? Может это также могло сыграть роль ?
Mechanical Engineering PhD applicant for Fall 2010

jtoylor

Непрочитанное сообщение jtoylor » Сб ноя 14, 2009 12:56 pm

А разве SOP отправляется в эл. виде при заполнении application form ?
Часто именно так и бывает. Документы в электронном виде довольно удобны.
Например, в Калтех заявки подаются полностью в электронном виде: заполняете все формы на сайте, указываете адреса рекомендателей (им на почту приходит ссылка для заполнения рекомендации), загружаете pdf с отсканированными предварительными транскриптами (!).
Часто во многих универах предусмотрена возможность подачи и бумажных заявок, но это уже на любителя.

helloworld
Контактная информация:

Непрочитанное сообщение helloworld » Сб ноя 14, 2009 1:24 pm

quix писал(а): helloworld, а как вы пришли к этому выводу? Вы контактировали с универом (профессорами, приемной комиссией) до поступления? Может это также могло сыграть роль ?
Нет, я ни с кем не контактировал. Получилось все просто, 3 марта пришло письмо о зачислении, а 10 марта - имеил от профессора (с кем я сейчас работаю), что хотел бы поговорить о прошлом ресерче, конференциях и будущих планах на жизнь.

quix

Непрочитанное сообщение quix » Сб ноя 14, 2009 2:02 pm

helloworld, а теперь, пройдя успешно через процесс поступления, что вы можете сказать про контактирование с профессорами? Хотя бы по вопросам свободных phd позиций.
Встречался с разными мнениями - кому то повезло так что их брали даже без GRE после личной беседы, а в других школах с профессорами определяются только через год после поступления, после ротаций.

quix

Непрочитанное сообщение quix » Сб ноя 14, 2009 2:07 pm

jtoylor писал(а):подаются полностью в электронном виде
К сожалению в калтех я не подаю. Но транскрипты в эл. виде - это конечно что-то. Их даже не нужно заверять предварительно?
Про LORs я в курсе - планировал отправлять их через e-mailы рекомендателей.
А насколько распространена практика электронных SOP ?

Ответить