Свои творения - на суд общественности

Модератор: Max

Kappaman

SOP, покритикуйте пожалуйста!

Непрочитанное сообщение Kappaman » Вт апр 27, 2010 2:52 pm

Дорогие форумчане!
покритикуйте, пожалуста, мой SOP.

Собственно SOP

This application is very important to me because completion of a PhD degree in Computer Science will be the best chance for unifying career development with my research interests. I am confident that when I become a serious and mature researcher my desire to make contributions to Computer Science will remain my main driving force. My research interests include video analysis and processing, 3D video, high performance algorithms, hardware focused programming in visual computing.
My first research work was essentially FSM diagnostics by enumeration methods. I did not know anything about FSMs, but I was persistent and learned all the necessary theory on my own. After learning the theory, I developed a software application that diagnoses faults in FSMs, and carried out experiments, the results of which were reported at a conference for young scientists. That was my first moderate contribution to computer science which made me absolutely confident that I want to be a scientist.
In my third year, Prof. ***** volunteered to supervise my Bachelor thesis. Under his guidance I wrote my thesis ”FPGA-based Digital Correlator Developing Using Fermat Number Transform" and defended it with Honors. Essentially it was a study of number transforms, efficient transformation algorithms, FPGA chips, tools for developing FPGA-based devices and finally putting this knowledge together to develop FPGA-based correlator. I was particularly impressed when I was invited to present my research for *** Ltd engineers in Nsk. There I had the opportunity not only to present my research but also to interact closely with computer scientists such as V. *** and A. ---, who apply their ideas to video compression and embedded system development. It is difficult to describe the feelings that overwhelmed me but they did encourage me to further progress. Later, I presented the results of my research at the 5th Conference of Student Research and Development Incubator where it was honored with the first prize.
My bachelor research impelled me to the Master’s research theme. My current Master’s research work is devoted to an application of the correlator developed during my Bachelor research, for coherent filtering, image processing and motion estimation. The main task is to apply the correlator for coherent filtering, image processing and video compression. While solving this problem I became familiar with the fields listed above.
While doing my research, I acquired valuable experience. First, I learned that research is not only learning and solving tasks on my own, but also communicating with other researcher from academia and industry. Second, receiving of an individual research grant from The Bortnik Fund gave me some hands-on experience in applying for a grant and writing reports for a fund and making effective presentations. Third, I found that solving problems, creating new ideas, participating in scientific discussions are the kinds of work I will enjoy the rest of my life. I realize that that the purpose of the PhD program is not only writing a thesis, but also publishing papers, getting feedback, and exchanging ideas with other researchers.
Thanks to winning the 16th Russian President's scholarship for Young Researchers to Study Abroad currently I am undergoing practical training at the Fraunhofer Institute for Non-destructive Testing as a hardware developer.
I am convinced that I should continue my research training at Max Plank Institute of Computer Science, since it has active research in the areas of video processing and 3D video which perfectly fits my research interests. While doing my research on video processing I read many papers on video processing and 3D video and I found research on video processing to be of great interest to me. For this reason, I am particularly interested in the research of Dr. *** on video processing and 3D video. Graduate study at *** would be a great step towards my goal as it would give me an opportunity to become an expert in this captivating research area. Therefore, MPI is my first choice for graduate school.

Заранее благодарю! Буду рад прочесть замечания как по содержанию, так и по грамматике/орфографии/пунтктуации/...
Последний раз редактировалось Kappaman Чт апр 29, 2010 1:09 am, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

ddsh

Re: SOP, покритикуйте пожалуйста!

Непрочитанное сообщение ddsh » Вт апр 27, 2010 5:20 pm

я не из этой области, но мне понравилось! можно проследить логику повествования! грамматку и тп. критиковать не могу :( но, я бы попробовала дать почитать это нейтив спикеру, некоторые выражения выглядят не натурально. (мой англ плох до ужаса, поэтому не буду настаивать).

может, добавить место проведения конференций (россия, европа...) и год (хотя это у вас все в св будет, конечно). и еще где это заведение, где вы сейчас работаете. (даже, если все программисты это знают, лучше писать место такое-то, город такой -то, страна такая-то. группа или босс такой-то). Еще , можно добавить чуть -чуть описания о ваших грантах (стипендия такая-то, дается 100 программистам в год и тп). может, еще какую-нбд деталь добавить о том, как вы столкнулись с конкретной проблемой и ее независимо решили (только более конкретными терминами) или как вам статья того профа из МПИ помогла (долго ломали голову над каким-нбд алгоритмом и тут : опа, статья в декабре вышла в вестнике автоматизированной обработки изображения с гениальной идей, которую вы потом приложили).

я тут недавно помогала эвалюировать аппликациии будущих магистров в один шведский вуз: если читаешь мотивейшн и чувствуешь, что человек теряет фокус и начинает плыть, стразу теряешь интерес и просто глазами ищешь слова: интерншип, работа, конфа, статья .... в вашем случае, я даже все прочитала внимательно (после индийско-пакистанско-китайской пытки)!

у вас присутствуют все компоненты успеха: опыт независимой работы, конфы, энтузиазм!!! (им нужны эмоции!), встреча с крупными учеными в вашей области! (это оч важно, что вы читатете науч журналы, посещаете семинары, следите за тем, кто, что делает).

подождем теперь, что скажу эксперты в вашей области :) (приходите к нам работать :) мы 4Д занимаемся :)

jtoylor

Непрочитанное сообщение jtoylor » Ср апр 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Стиль не западный (они не говорят "bachelor research" и т.д.), текст с точки зрения языка можно еще шлифовать и шлифовать, но он уже не особо ужасен.

По содержанию: представьте, что я - профессор университета Макса Планка, и я получаю заявку от вас. В ней мало конкретики ("The main task is to apply the correlator for coherent filtering, image processing and video compression."), т.е. я не могу определить, насколько ваша деятельность коррелирует с моей. Даже если лично я работаю с FPGA, это не значит, что 10 других профессоров из приемной комиссии понимают, о чем речь. Если никто из нас не понимает, по ваши шансы стремятся к 0. Лучше принять другого кандидата, который подробно описывает, чем и как он занимался, и чего он достиг.
Многие вещи мне непонятны. Например, гранты фонда Бортника. Они дают гранты 100 миллионам папуасов по 1000 рублей в год за хорошую успеваемость в школе? Т.е. мне непонятна ценность этой награды, поскольку я о ней никогда не слышал.
Аналогично, про 5-й инкубатор. Никогда не слышал про него и его престижность.

Если FSM = конечный автомат, то очень плохо, что вы о них ничего не знали. Они под разными соусами входят в основные компоненты образовательной программы по CS (компиляторы, разбор выражений, теория вычислимости и вычислительной сложности и т.д.). Значит, ваше образование в области CS может не дотягивать до привычного Западу уровня, и надо очень внимательно смотреть, какие курсы вы слушали и выяснять их эквивалентность западным и т.д.

Также читая сие SOP, мне думается, что надо бы форварднуть его ребятам из Computer Engineering, а не CS.

Нет логики в повествовании. Периодически то здесь, то там всплывают восклицания "Я самый мотивированный" и "Мне интересна наука".

Успехов.

Wanderer

Непрочитанное сообщение Wanderer » Ср апр 28, 2010 8:28 pm

Не вижу смысла чтобы добавлять в SOP место проведения конференций и год, поскольку эту информацию можно найти в CV, оно как раз для этого и нужно чтобы указать все детали предыдущего research. Опять таки, информацию о престижности наград необходима, как указал jtoylor, но я считаю что это должно быть в CV дабы не загромождать SOP. Вообще информация в SOP должна минимально пересекаться с информацией в CV и рекомендациях. Чем короче текст SOP'а тем больше вероятность, что его прочитают внимательно ;)
Если FSM = конечный автомат, то очень плохо, что вы о них ничего не знали. Они под разными соусами входят в основные компоненты образовательной программы по CS (компиляторы, разбор выражений, теория вычислимости и вычислительной сложности и т.д.).
Kappaman иммел ввиду, что во время первого своего проекта курс по FSM еще не читали. Я думаю, что для ясности стоит перефразировать предложение следующим образом: "At that time I did not know anything about FSMs"

Kappaman

Непрочитанное сообщение Kappaman » Вс май 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Спасибо большое за критику!
SOP претерпел некоторые изменения покритикуйте, пожалуйста, этот вариант.

PhD degree in Computer Science is very important to me, because it is the best chance for unifying career development with my research interests. These include video analysis and processing, 3D video, high performance algorithms, hardware focused programming in visual computing
My first research was essentially FSM diagnostics by enumeration methods. At that time I did not know anything about FSMs, but I was persistent and learned all the necessary theory on my own. After that, I developed a software application that diagnoses faults in FSMs and carried out experiments, the results of which were reported at a conference for young scientists. That was my first moderate contribution to computer science which made me absolutely confident that I want to be a scientist.
In my third year, Prof. *** volunteered to supervise my Bachelor’s thesis. It was a study of number transforms, efficient transformation algorithms, FPGA chips and appropriate tools and finally, putting this knowledge together to develop an FPGA-based correlator. I was particularly impressed when I was invited to present my research for *** Devices engineers in Tomsk. There I had the opportunity not only to present my research but also to interact closely with computer scientists such as V. *** and A. ***, who apply their ideas to video compression and embedded system development. At that time I learned that research is not only working on my own, but also communicating with other researchers from academia and industry. It is difficult to describe the feelings that overwhelmed me but they did encourage me to further progress. Later, I received an individual research grant from The Bortnik Fund gave me some hands-on experience in applying for a grant, writing reports for a fund and making effective presentations.
My current Master’s research work is an application of the correlator developed during my Bachelor research, for motion estimation, image processing and coherent filtering. Additionally, I am involved in a project, which is developing a system for scanning a person with ultrasonic and radio waves and automatically detects objects hidden under clothes in a real time. I helped develop broadband transceiver modules for radioimaging. Currently our group is working on the algorithms for creating 3D video out of multi-view ultrasonic and radio waves sensor measurements, recognition of objects of the certain shape.
Thanks to winning the 16th Russian President's scholarship for Young Researchers to Study Abroad currently I am undergoing practical training at the Fraunhofer Institute for Non-destructive Testing as a hardware developer.
I am convinced that I should continue my research training at Max Plank Institute of Computer Science, since it has active research in the areas of video processing and 3D video which perfectly fits my research interests. While doing my research on video processing I read many papers on video processing and 3D video and I found research on video processing to be of great interest to me. For this reason, I am particularly interested in the research of Dr. *** on video processing and 3D video. I look forward to publishing papers, getting feedback, and exchanging ideas with other researchers in addition to writing a PhD thesis. Graduate study at MPI would be a great step towards my goal as it would give me an opportunity to become an expert in this captivating research area. Therefore, MPI is my first choice for graduate school.

promanev

Непрочитанное сообщение promanev » Вс ноя 13, 2011 8:51 am

Буду признателен конструктивной критике:

Contemporary science is the best illustration of Plato’s Theory of Ideas. I’ve learned that when I was 11.As a 5th grade student in an advanced Physics class I had to present a science project in front of the class. My project was illustrating the use of communicating vessels. As I’ve studied the principle behind this device I’ve learned that it is widely put to use - water towers, flood-gates, fountains were all based on it. One physical phenomenon was the foundation of functionally different mechanisms. I believe that today likewise ideas from one scientific discipline can greatly benefit the other disciplines.

Fascinated with explanatory power of Physics and its philosophical background I chose it for my undergraduate study without a shadow of a doubt. I got admitted to Bla-Bla State University - the best university in Whatever Region in Russia. It was established in 1918 and Radiophysics Chair which I was a part of - was the 4th in USSR, established in 1953. I was offered admission without passing any exams due to my honors school attestat, 1st place in regional physics Olympiad and a special recognition award in Physics Brain Ring - a competition for physics students organized by Bla-bla State University.

In the middle of my undergraduate studies I became completely consumed with Probability theory and its applications in Radiophysics. Aside from a sort of magic capability of prediction it possessed, it proved to be a powerful tool with numerous applications, among them - discerning signals from the noise. Soon after I joined Professor’s SmartGuy’s lab of Radiophysical Informatics, I was assigned to study the application of maximum-likelihood estimation approach to creating a receiver that could both recognize a signal in a noise-signal mix and give an estimation of one of its parameters. My duty in the lab was theoretical modelling of this bi-functional device for different types of signals (quasi-determinate, discontinuous, etc.). Later in the course study I was analyzing effectiveness of their recognition and estimation processes using Mathcad software in search for the optimal reception algorithm. For my senior research project I took an unsolved problem for the case of stochastic signals with unknown central frequencies. It was a daunting experience at first. Facing a problem no one has solved before, more complex than regular problems an average student has to deal with. However, relying on sound knowledge I’ve gained under Professor Marshakov’s supervision in several months I’ve managed to extend maximum-likelihood estimation method to solve this new problem.

Working on my senior research project I often wondered how complex math of combined recognition and estimation problem is basically a representation of a maximum-likelihood idea. And it itself is in essence is the same with the way we are perceiving the world. We pick out images, words, etc. in the incoming sensory data by comparing it with library of the images, words already familiar to us. This lead me to conclusion that studying of our psyche and the hardware of this psyche - brain - would hold a lot of great opportunities. I shared these ideas with professor Ivan Strukov who holds degrees in Physics and Bioligy. He was Biomimetics enthusiast early in his career. In discussions with him and reading articles he suggested I became certain that I should continue my study in a neuroscience graduate program.

I believe that I am fit for a rigorous graduate problems because I am used to facing the difficulties and overcoming them. I retain focus on what’s important and achieve goals even under pressure. After three years in undergraduate studies due to financial hardship in my family I had to find a job. In order to accommodate for a full-time job as a marketing analyst in stationery firm I switched from a full-time tuition to an evening tuition. It was a challenge to keep up with my curriculum but I’ve managed to graduate with good standing (4.4 out of 5.0 GPA) which also made me eligible for university’s fellowship up until graduation. Even so, I had to choose whether to dedicate my extremely limited amount of time to classes or research project. Honestly, there was not much of a choice, because nothing can compare with excitement of research, finding out previously unknown correlations and making use of them. The excellent grade for my senior research project shows that my choice was correct.

While there is a great variety of problems that contemporary neuroscience is tackling nowadays my research interests lie in understanding the nature of addiction. It’s a great challenge to the modern society, and suffering and loss drug abuse is causing is tremendous. I personally have known people who trod that wretched path. Therefore I have strong desire to dedicate myself to study of the addictive substances and their effects on brain chemistry and means of stopping this adverse behavior. I chose USA because of unprecedented level of funding Neuroscience is receiving from NIH, NSF and other institutions. Productive research requires substantial funding. I believe that YOUR UNIVERSITY will provide me with an excellent opportunity to receive both theoretical and experimental knowledge on this subject matter. Particularly, I am interested in working in PROFESSOR’S NAME lab. Also, I would like to investigate TOPIC under PROFESSOR NAME2 supervision.
I am sure that my background in Physics will bring a fresh perspective to your Neuroscience program. And my passion for research and perseverance will help me meet the demands and challenges of an interdisciplinary program. I would regard an offer of admission from your university as a tremendous opportunity and an honorable responsibility.

promanev

Непрочитанное сообщение promanev » Ср ноя 16, 2011 11:01 am

Коллеги и знатоки.
Понимаю, "многа букав". Но это же вопрос жизни/смерти. Отпишитесь, хоть в двух словах. :)

almennur

Непрочитанное сообщение almennur » Ср ноя 16, 2011 7:37 pm

По-моему, можно урезать "описание сиви" и больше подискасить свое место в науке. Профессура читает кучу "интересных" сивишек, в таких описаниях реально привлекает любопытные свитчи и неординарные истории. Это была и моя ошибка, которую я сегодня исправил бы: обсудить текущие проблемы в филде и представить себя в их решении. Т.е. можно убить двух зайцев - показать критические знания по теме (всегда в цене), продекларировать свои цели и амбиции (молодые и наглые не только в бизнесе нужны). Такое чисто субъективное мнение.

promanev

Непрочитанное сообщение promanev » Чт ноя 17, 2011 1:28 am

Вот, спасибо! "Сиви" - это ты про перечисление - где родился/женился и т.п., правильно?

Vesta87.87
Откуда: Barnaul-> Flagstaff, AZ -> Oxford, MS -> Boston, MA

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Чт ноя 17, 2011 3:54 am

Я читала где-то про два подхода к написанию SOP есть: 1) хронологический (с фактами из биографии) и 2) нехронологический (с какой-то историей внутри). Мне кажется, второй подход необычный, он делает эссе живым и интересным. Думаю, Вам следует попробовать развернуть все вокруг какой-нить истории, иначе у Вас просто получается перечисление вашего CV. CV итак стандартно отправляется со всеми доками, а эссе его должно дополнять. Считаю, что в первом абзаце Вам нужно создать какой-то narrative hook (То есть, что-то цепляющие). Кстати, про открытия детство пишут очень многие, может Вам лучше сосредоточиться на открытия в более сознательном возрасте?

Сорри, если что-то не то. Просто небольшие замечания.

Ответить