Indepedent writing, TOEFL, please evaluate

Свои творения - на суд общественности

Модератор: Max

AmandaLemon

Indepedent writing, TOEFL, please evaluate

Непрочитанное сообщение AmandaLemon » Пт сен 06, 2013 3:50 pm

task: Teachers should encourage their students to question everything.

I can not say unambiguously whether teachers should make their students doubt about everything or not. Such habit to doubt everything in some cases can be useful but in other cases – damaging.

Doubts often lead to better knowledge, to the opportunity to discover more. If a student is not sure about something he probably will search the information, check different resources in order to find the most precise answer for the issue he is unsure with. Thus, he becomes more educated and more confident in the field that made him uncomfortable before. However, questioning everything can really hinder learning at school because it means that the student does not respect and believe his teacher enough to be sure in his words.

Additionally, when a student has questions he is usually inquisitive and likes to study. In this case, it is a pleasure for a teacher to have such students in a class. But it may be not as good for a student himself. It is important for his further life, especially professional life, to be able to concentrate in some special field of study, not be interested in just everything.

In sum, teachers should encourage their students to question the information given for them but do it very carefully. It is very easy for teachers instead of pushing students forward in learning just lose their position as a good teacher in the class.

chemist

Re: Indepedent writing, TOEFL, please evaluate

Непрочитанное сообщение chemist » Пт сен 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Последний раз редактировалось chemist Вт ноя 25, 2014 1:07 pm, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

future

Непрочитанное сообщение future » Сб сен 07, 2013 1:31 am

Угу. Мне в свое время очень помогла мысль о том, что всем глубоко пофиг на мою реальную точку зрения по вопросу. С тех пор я защищаю ту, на которую есть больше аргументов, какими бы идиотскими они не были. И с примерами не стесняюсь совершенно, сочиняю, лишь бы они подтверждали нужную точку зрения. В последнем, например, было про "нужно ли предъявлять требования к форме одежды в школах и на работе". Моя точка зрения - "ваще пофиг" :D Но пришлось рьяно доказывать, что это совершенно необходимо и приводить в пример себя. Потому что я, оказывается, училась в частной школе с униформой (вранье) и все мои одноклассники из-за этого крайне преуспели в жизни :D И я сама лично прочувствовала, как униформа поднимает командный дух :drinks:
Ну и пяти абзацев придерживаюсь, конечно.
У меня был родственник, который учил тригонометрию до тех пор, пока у него не обвисли усы, а когда все выучил, явилась какая-то морра и съела его. Да, и после он лежал в морровом брюхе, такой умненький!

Lyu
Forum Admin

Непрочитанное сообщение Lyu » Сб сен 07, 2013 1:53 am

future писал(а):Угу. Мне в свое время очень помогла мысль о том, что всем глубоко пофиг на мою реальную точку зрения по вопросу. С тех пор я защищаю ту, на которую есть больше аргументов, какими бы идиотскими они не были.
Идеальная позиция! Вроде бы это даже было где-то в рекомендациях к подготовке! :claping:

Vesta87.87
Откуда: Barnaul-> Flagstaff, AZ -> Oxford, MS -> Boston, MA

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Сб сен 07, 2013 5:50 am

ИМХО, тут даже в названии темы сочинения попахивает американским critical thinking любимым. Студенты всегда должны все ставит под сомнение, рассматривать с разных сторон и т.д. Мне даже кажется, что если вы не согласны с этим, ответ тут однозначно I agree :D
Правильно future говорит! Это и в спикинге поможет) Я один раз рассказывала им в микрофон, как меня родители заставляли ходить в музыкальную школу, хотя я вообще далека от музыки и нога моя ни разу туда не ступала :rofl:

AmandaLemon

Непрочитанное сообщение AmandaLemon » Сб сен 07, 2013 6:50 am

Спасибо!

Вообще я постаралась занять нейтральную позицию... это неправильно? нужно либо за, либо против?

Я понимаю, что в первом абзаце нужно кратко изложить и аргументировать свою позицию. Но у меня не получается ((( точнее, получается какое-то тупое повторение следующих абзацев (((

А на счёт примеров. В какой-то книге по подготовке я читала, что приводить примеры из своей жизни, неуместно. Надо из наук разных типа истории, политики и т.д. Это не так?

future

Непрочитанное сообщение future » Сб сен 07, 2013 7:39 am

AmandaLemon писал(а):Спасибо!
Вообще я постаралась занять нейтральную позицию... это неправильно? нужно либо за, либо против?
Я понимаю, что в первом абзаце нужно кратко изложить и аргументировать свою позицию. Но у меня не получается ((( точнее, получается какое-то тупое повторение следующих абзацев (((
А на счёт примеров. В какой-то книге по подготовке я читала, что приводить примеры из своей жизни, неуместно. Надо из наук разных типа истории, политики и т.д. Это не так?
Лучше или за, или против. Если нейтрально, то что-то типа "я за, если бла-бла, и против, если бла-бла-бла". Но это рискованно - можно не успеть за полчаса четко завершить все мысли. А должно быть максимально четко.
Про примеры точно не так, я использую из своей жизни (или из своей придуманной жизни :crazy: ). Но можно и общие. По-моему, на это тоже всем пофиг :D
Про структуру и первый абзац. Единственное мое сохранившееся эссе с подготовки, но я всегда пишу примерно так. В первом абзаце - о чем буду писать. Потом три развернутых причины. И в заключении еще раз повторить.
---
Advertising influences people’s behavior in a negative way.

I can say that I strongly agree with the statement. I do not know the other fruit of our progress being so detrimental for us: the only one positive feature of advertising (it allows us to know about some things we are in need for) is outnumbered by the negative ones. To name a few: it makes us buy a lot of products we do not really need; it teach our children that the food from McDonald’s is good for them; and, the last but not least, it implies (and many of us adults believe it) that the person cannot be considered worthy if (s)he does not wear the proper garments, does not have the proper car, and does not drink the proper drinks.
My first point is that we people does really need very few things to survive and be happy: something healthy to eat, something simple to wear, and something important to think about. But what does advertising tell us? Buy these food, it is better (calories are not mentioned). Buy this dress, woman, since without this dress you are no woman (and it costs several times more than the same one without the label “made by J. Doe”, you know several names I am talking about). What does this lead to? We spend more money. That same money we could spend on studying, visiting other countries, or on our children.
And there I want to go to the second point: advertising is harmful for our future, i.e. our children. Everyone saw advertising which is targeted on children, and the most irritating of them for me is fast food advertising. Our children watch TV, see such garbage, and decide that it is normal food. And you can see what it means for our population – the most obese population the Earth has ever seen. I blame advertising for that.
And the third my point concerns some psychological topic – our self-esteem. Almost any advertisement implies that if you do not have something, you are worse than anyone who does have it. Thanks God, more and more people nowadays can resist a temptation to estimate themselves and others by what they have, and begin to rely in their estimates on what they are, what they do, and what they think. Unfortunately, “more and more” is a scarce amount of people, while the others have to live their lives trying to get more and more garbage which they will have to leave behind when they die.
To sum it up, I suppose that the statement is more than right: advertising really influences our behavior in a negative way, and it is no good for our savings, our children, and our self-esteem.
У меня был родственник, который учил тригонометрию до тех пор, пока у него не обвисли усы, а когда все выучил, явилась какая-то морра и съела его. Да, и после он лежал в морровом брюхе, такой умненький!

Vesta87.87
Откуда: Barnaul-> Flagstaff, AZ -> Oxford, MS -> Boston, MA

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Сб сен 07, 2013 8:26 am

Это тип эссе "agree or disagree", здесь самое главное правило-AVOID DOUBLE ARGUMENT. В основном, в ТОЙФЛ именно этот тип вопроса, поэтому здесь внимательно нужно подумать, сможете ли вы подобрать больше аргументов "за" или "против".

AmandaLemon

Непрочитанное сообщение AmandaLemon » Сб сен 07, 2013 10:48 am

Ребята, огромное спасибо! Попытка №2.
Пожалуйста, покритикуйте! Экзамен уже завтра (((

Should teenagers work while they are students?

In my opinion, students should not work, they should only study. An average teenager is not like Julius Caesar who could do many things at the same time. Education needs a lot of time and efforts: it is impossible to do your best in studying if you have a job which also needs your time. After all, teenagers have their whole life to work! While they are young, it is time to study hard, get a profession and chance for a good job. If students do not have an opportunity to study full-time they should delay their studying for some time.

Firstly, it is supposed that the status «student» means studying, not working. A person should study or should work. He can not do both things at the same time. At least, he can not do them as well as if he has only one thing to do. If he tries to do both he can fail in both of them or in one of them. It is much better to be successful in one field than be mediocre in several fields.

Moreover, if a teenager spends all of his time for studying he obviously will know more at the time of graduation than his associate who was working during college years. So, he will have better scores, deeper knowledge in his field of study and generally will be able to find a better job. Today practically every big, respected company pays a lot of attention to yesterday student's GPA and professor's recommendations.

Of course, in some cases life situation can be very difficult, so a teenager needs to work in order to pay for his education and even for food. But in such situations I can suggest to delay earning a degree and use several years to work. Thus, a teenager can save enough money to live and study for the next years. Unfortunately, I did not do so when my life situation was complicated. As a result, now I feel a real shortage of theoretical knowledge in my work and it seriously hinders to do my work well.

In sum, a teenager should decide whether he wants to work or to study. If he wants to be a professional, if he wants to get outside of his field well and have a chance to get a good job, a teenager should spend all of his time for studying. He will have an opportunity to work after the graduation. Everything has its time.

future

Непрочитанное сообщение future » Сб сен 07, 2013 11:18 am

"hinders to do my work well" - hinder вроде так не употребляется, режет слух.
Структура мне понравилась, значительно лучше предыдущего. Четкая позиция во введении, повторена в заключении. Три хороших аргумента, имхо. Значит, ты можешь писать такого плана эссе, что не может не радовать :so_happy:
Прекрати писать сочинения накануне экзамена! Everything has its time ;) Сейчас - время слегка отдохнуть. И, если получится, забить на это все - как психолог и бывший псих (с многолетним стажем :crazy: ) рекомендую. В последнюю секунду уже ничему не научишься, только нервы себе потрепешь и выдохнешься. Если очень уж хочется - хотя бы не делай полные задания. Возьми список тем для райтинга, например, и просто придумывай по три аргумента на каждую тему. Или что-нибудь в этом духе.
На экзамене, кстати, неплохая стратегия - писать не подряд. Сначала введение, потом начало каждого абзаца с аргументами, потом заключение, потом вернуться к аргументам. Так, даже если ты не укладываешься в полчаса, эссе имеет вид законченного. Это лучше, чем написать три крутых абзаца и не успеть написать "sum up".
Удачи завтра! Весь градус с тобой :drinks: Расскажи потом, как оно прошло!

Ответить