SoP Neuroscience

Свои творения - на суд общественности

Модератор: Max

Олег

SoP Neuroscience

Непрочитанное сообщение Олег » Пн окт 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Ну вот я и родил первый драфт своего СоПа. Буду очень признателен каждому кто не поленится почитать и высказаться как его можно улучшить.

I want to enter your PhD program because, believe it or not, Neuroscience is what causes goose bumps on my skin. For almost four years, I have been driven ahead with the thought that making science, and knowing that this way I am opening something very small but also new about the fascinating miracle which is our brain, is what I should devote my life to. So let me briefly introduce to you what has helped me to make up my mind.
I believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe that is why the professor who taught us Physiology was no one else but Dr.X. At that time, I was already interested in Neurophysiology, so he once said to me “I think you definitely need to try some research, you should like it”. And he was right. From that time Dr. X has been my research advisor. For the following three years under his supervision, I have done different research projects and presented them at annual international conferences in Uzhgorod as oral presentations as well as in papers in journal across Ukraine and abroad.
What I really appreciate Dr. X for, is that he did his best in teaching me the craft of scientist from both general and specific point of view. What I mean as general is that he taught me to be hard-working because as he likes to say “Every result is positive. And every invested work, sooner or later pays off”. Also, he explained to me the concepts of research. He has shown me both how to plan a research, and how to interpret the results using appropriate statistical method. Maybe the only obstacle that limited our research planning has always been funding, since the economical situation in Ukraine does not favor research. However, I am strongly convinced that when you have a passion, when you really want to do something, there are no obstacles impossible to overcome. In the beginning of 2013 I won an individual research grant, offered by our university students association, to study the effect of respiration in biofeedback mode. With this money, we bought necessary equipment, and during the year published 3 papers illustrating our findings.
My third year in university was specifically important in predilection of my future because I got a job in the Laboratory of Molecular Biology. After my first successful oral presentation in Physiology, I decided to join Dr. Y lab. I worked there a little more than a summer, however, the experience I got at that lab is definitely worth-while. Dr. Y assigned me to perform bacteriological analysis for the local clinic the laboratory had contract with. That has really taught me to be responsible. Another task I had in the lab, was to test in vitro the activity of new probiotic drug Dr. Y intended to make. The drug is now successfully sold across the country and it also benefited me with the oral presentation in 2013 - “Antimicrobial properties of new synbiotic biological preparations enteronormin and enteronormin-detox”. Except the participation in international conference, I learnt many lab technics ranging from electrophoresis to mice dissection. Additionally, as Dr. Y used to work for 5 years in University of Pennsylvania, that was her, who narrowed my future plans to entering a PhD program in the United States.
As I said before, I believe that everything happens for a reason. I was always leaning towards Physics, so I wanted to combine it with Neuroscience. This September, being in Vice-Chancellor’s office, I met a last year physics student with ambitions similar to mine. Now, we work on implications of lasers in neurovisualization. Although not having broad research experience in this field, generally, combination of Physics and Neuroscience is what I would really like to work on. I like the research topics of Prof. *** and Prof ***, and I would be happy to become a part of their research team. That is why I think that Your university suites me best.
Hope to get good news from You,
Respectfully, Oleg

victor_a

Re: SoP Neuroscience

Непрочитанное сообщение victor_a » Пн окт 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Поздравляю с первым драфтом. Продолжайте над ним работать; меньше воды, больше структуры. Почитайте SoP на градусе и вот эти: http://alumnus.caltech.edu/~natalia/stu ... amples.htm

> I want to enter your PhD program because, believe it or not, Neuroscience is what causes goose bumps on my skin.

-- аргумент работает для области, но не для /вашей программы/. Лучше оставить "почему хочу именно к вам" на последний абзац.

> For almost four years, I have been driven ahead with the thought that making science, and knowing that this way I am opening something very small but also new about the fascinating miracle which is our brain, is what I should devote my life to.

-- длинное предложение. Разбить бы его на 2 части, ато даже native speaker может не разобраться.

> helped me to make up my mind.

helped me make up my mind (to после help не потребляется)

> I believe that everything happens for a reason. Maybe that is why the professor who taught us Physiology was no one else but Dr.X.

-- 1) не понял логики. 2) Взвешивайте каждое предложение в вашем SOP. "I believe that everything happens for a reason." -- насколько это предложение полезно для того, чтобы объяснить вашу мотивацию/уговорить людей принять вас на программу? Не лейте воду. Пишите по делу, это людям нравится. Меньше романса =) 3) "was no one else but" -- как уже сказал, я там логики не понимаю, но, изолированно от логики, такой оборот может быть justified если только у вас дальше идет Michael Jackson или папа римский или еще какое узнаваемое на 100% светило.

> he once said to me “I think you definitely need to try some research, you should like it”.

не юзайте прямую черь в эссе. he once said that I should definitely think... А лучше вообще это удалите. Ваши терки о жизни с профессором не показывают, что вы -- хороший потенциальный ресерчер. Они вообще ни о чем не говорят комиссии.

> have done different research projects

-- хорошо рассказать о конкретных свершениях (о самых-самых).

> What I mean as general is

-- пишите сразу так, чтобы в след предложении не надо было пояснять что вы имели в виду.

> Also, he explained

лучше не начинать предложение с Also. Additionally, -- возможная альтернатива. Лучше, "He(,) also(,) taught me to ..." (можно без запятых).

> ---

чем больше читаю, тем больше узнаю, какой молодец был профессор Jackson, всему вас научил, и ничего про вас не могу сказать. Что то сделали, где-то доложили орально. Пишите Sop про себя, какой вы молодец, что вы сделали, как и почему. Что хотите сделать, зачем делать, почему можете, ...

> In the beginning of 2013 I won an individual research grant, offered by our university students association, to study the effect of respiration in biofeedback mode.

-- good

> With this money, we bought necessary equipment

-- зачем опускаться до таких житейских тем как деньги =) Про деньги -- это отдельное (опциональное) diversity-эссе "как мне туго жилось в USSR"

> published 3 papers

-- good (еще сказать о чем они, общо)

> I worked there a little more than a summer,

-- можно просто summer. "A little more than" вам много бенефитов не принесет, а места занимает. Взвешивайте каждое слово в SOP. Выкидывайте все лишнее.

> Additionally, as Dr. Y used to work for 5 years in University of Pennsylvania, that was her, who narrowed my future plans to entering a PhD program in the United States.

-- вы идете на PhD туда-то из за кого-то другого? Не дело.

Vesta87.87
Откуда: Barnaul-> Flagstaff, AZ -> Oxford, MS -> Boston, MA

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Чт окт 31, 2013 11:54 am

Сразу извините, если какие-то фразы покажутся грубыми или слишком резкими. Вот мое мнение (на правильность не претендую).
1) Вы пишите письмо другу или официально-формальный документ? Что это за фраза в конце Hope to get good news from You, Respectfully, Oleg. Уберите, это лишнее.
2) Начало какое-то неудачно, как будто с середины. Я считаю, что начало должно быть интересное, захватывающее, чтобы в нем был hook, который заставит приемную комиссию читать Ваш СОП дальше.
3) I want to enter your PhD program because, believe it or not, Neuroscience is what causes goose bumps on my skin.
Это какой-то детский сад, если честно. Тем более фраза believe it or not и goose bumps on my skin....Это слишком неформально для такого документа.
4) For almost four years, I have been driven ahead with the thought that making science, and knowing that this way I am opening something very small but also new about the fascinating miracle which is our brain, is what I should devote my life to.
Это про что? Мысль основная утеряна из-за того, что предложение слишком длинное.
opening something very small-это по-русски (может, лучше smth insignificant)
Пунктуация тоже хромает. В английском языке запятые ставятся по-другому.
5) So let me briefly introduce to you what has helped me to make up my mind.
Это уже как с другом: "Ну, давай, дружок, я введу тебя в курс дела". Избегайте прямых обращений в виде you.
6) Maybe that is why the professor who taught us Physiology was no one else but Dr.X.
"Us"-это кто?
7) At that time, I was already interested in Neurophysiology, so he once said to me “I think you definitely need to try some research, you should like it”.
Ммммм....Я бы не стала включать какие-то фразы. Тем более, что в ней такого особенного? Думаете, другим поступающим профессора не говорят такое? Вот если бы это был какой-то совет или хотя бы девиз по жизни. В общем, какая-то цепляющая фраза, содержащая важную информацию, то можно и оставить.
8) And he was right. From that time Dr. X has been my research advisor. For the following three years under his supervision, I have done different research projects and presented them at annual international conferences in Uzhgorod as oral presentations as well as in papers in journal across Ukraine and abroad.
Uzhgorod, Russia (Ukraine) я бы уточнила.
oral presentations - а что бывают еще written presentations? Звучит странно. Может, просто presented my papers at the conferences as well as submitted them to the journals both in Ukraine and other countries (здесь можно сказать, в каких странах)
9) What I really appreciate Dr. X for, is that he did his best in teaching me the craft of scientist from both general and specific point of view.
I am thankful (grateful) to Dr. X for teaching me....что такое craft of scientist?
10) What I mean as general is that he taught me to be hard-working because as he likes to say “Every result is positive. And every invested work, sooner or later pays off”.
Опять цитата профессора, которая не несет в себе языковой нагрузки. Это банальные вещи.
11) Also, he explained to me the concepts of research. Может, basics of research
12) He has shown me both how to plan a research, and how to interpret the results using appropriate statistical method.
Почему в предыдущем предложении Past Simple, а здесь Перфект? С артиклями беда. Я бы так расставила:
He showed me how to plan the research and interpret the results using the appropriate statistical method.
13) Maybe the only obstacle that limited our research planning has always been funding, since the economical situation in Ukraine does not favor research.
economical - это экономный (о человеке). Я бы сказала economic situation или economic state of affairs.
Вместо limited я бы сказала hindered our research
since the economical situation in Ukraine does not favor research - Может, как-то перефразировать в пассивный залог
....because research initiatives are not financially supported in my country due to the poor economic state of affairs
14) However, I am strongly convinced that when you have a passion, when you really want to do something, there are no obstacles impossible to overcome.
Когда пишите you, я пишу who? me? Не нужно тыкать в приемную комиссию. Я бы так переделала:
However, I am convinced when one has passion for something, there will be no challenges that are impossible to meet/to face.
15) In the beginning of 2013 I won an individual research grant, offered by our university students association, to study the effect of respiration in biofeedback mode.
Здесь пунктуация неправильная и конструкция слишком русская. Я бы так сказала:
In January 2013 (или в каком месяце это было) I won the individual research grant from our University student assosiation that enabled me to study the effect of respiration in the biofeedback mode.
16) With this money, we bought necessary equipment, and during the year published 3 papers illustrating our findings.
Порядок слов не тот и запятую не надо:
With this money we bought necessary equipment and published three (цифры прописываем, если это не год) papers illustrating our findings within the year.
17) My third year in university was specifically important in predilection of my future because I got a job in the Laboratory of Molecular Biology. Здесь много лексических ошибок. Я бы так переделала:
My third year at University was especially important for my future career, because I got a job in the Laboratory of Molecular Biology (Не уверена, но зачем большие буквы? Если это официальное название, то правильно).
18) After my first successful oral presentation in Physiology, I decided to join Dr. Y lab.
Смущает слово oral...Я бы еще добавила деталей, например, название доклада. И там есть апостроф в to join Dr. Y's lab
19) I worked there a little more than a summer, however, the experience I got at that lab is definitely worth-while.
Пунктуация и синтаксис и еще согласование времен:
I worked there for more than three months; however, the experience I got at that lab was definitely worth-while.
20) Dr. Y assigned me to perform bacteriological analysis for the local clinic the laboratory had contract with.
to analyze лучше сказать или to do the analysis.
21) That has really taught me to be responsible.
Что такое со временем? Если все в прошлом, то и придерживайтесь прошлого.
22) Another task I had in the lab, was to test in vitro the activity of new probiotic drug Dr. Y intended to make.
Пунктуация-запятую не нужно.
23) The drug is now successfully sold across the country and it also benefited me with the oral presentation in 2013 - “Antimicrobial properties of new synbiotic biological preparations enteronormin and enteronormin-detox”.
Ох, здесь много мыслей в одном предложении...
The drug is now being successfully sold across the country. In addition to the successful realization of it (не знаю точно, как это называется), I was also able to present my paper...
24) Except the participation in international conference, I learnt many lab technics ranging from electrophoresis to mice dissection.
In addition to the participation in the international conference, I learned many lab techniques ranging from electrophoresis to mice dissection.
25) Additionally, as Dr. Y used to work for 5 years in University of Pennsylvania, that was her, who narrowed my future plans to entering a PhD program in the United States.
Здесь непонятно вообще. Она вас заставила поступать в Америку?
Как-то так я бы сказала:
Because Dr. Y used to work for 5 years in University of Pennsylvania, the knowledge and experiences I gained from her inspired me to enter a PhD program in the United States.
26) As I said before, I believe that everything happens for a reason. I was always leaning towards Physics, so I wanted to combine it with Neuroscience. This September, being in Vice-Chancellor’s office, I met a last year physics student with ambitions similar to mine. Now, we work on implications of lasers in neurovisualization. Although not having broad research experience in this field, generally, combination of Physics and Neuroscience is what I would really like to work on. I like the research topics of Prof. *** and Prof ***, and I would be happy to become a part of their research team. That is why I think that Your university suites me best.
Hope to get good news from You,
Respectfully, Oleg

Слабовато для начала conclusion. тем более эта фраза уже была. Кстати, есть прекрасная фраза вместо той, что у вас:
I think that Your university suites me best.
I believe I would be a great asset to *Michigan State University* (здесь имя ВУЗа).
Вообще, впечатление от заключения странное. Как будто заканчиваете письмо другу. Обычно новые факты не вводятся в заключении. Я бы уднлила больше внимания описанию того, что конкретно Вы будете делать в град школе. Еще, по крайней мере у нас в гуманитарной сфере, пишут про то, как Ваш дигри вписывается в будущие карьерные планы. Иначе, после прочтения Вашего СОПа я бы сказала-ну молодец, выиграл грант, занимается исследованиями, выступает на конференциях там у себя, а наш-то университет тут причем?
Еще, есть такой момент, который я лично считаю, можно добавить в СОП. Лучше добавить пару предложений про то, что Вы лично можете дать программе, факультету, конкретной лаборатории. Иначе, все аппликанты хотят что-то получить, а про то, что они могут дать, никто не заикается.
В общем по эссе, скажу, что кое-где прям сосвем random facts from life. Какой-то логики нет в представлении фактов. Хотя, какое я право имею заикаться про логику со своими посредственными способностями :D Ладно, это так, лирика.

Vesta87.87

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Чт окт 31, 2013 11:29 pm

Еще всем советую по поводу знаков препинания посмотреть здесь https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/607/02/

Олег

Непрочитанное сообщение Олег » Вт ноя 05, 2013 7:10 am

Дорогие victor_a и Vesta! Спасибо Вам от души что не поленились всё перечитать и прокомментировать!
После редакции, получился у меня вот такой вариант. Буду благодарен всем кто сможет ещё чем-то помочь!

I want to become a Neuroscience Ph.D. student in University of ***. For almost four years, I have been driven ahead with the thought that making science is what I should devote my life to. I am thrilled to know that with every new project I am opening something minuscule, but also new, about the fascinating miracle which is our brain. I became interested in Neurophysiology at the end of the second year in university. My first research experience, under the supervision of Physiology professor, Dr. XXXX, was studying how well individuals can master complex motor program with respect to brain hemisphere dominance. From that time Dr. XXXX has been my research advisor. For the following years under his supervision, I have done different research projects and presented my papers at annual international conferences in Uzhgorod as well as submitted them to the journals. Maybe the only obstacle that hindered our research has always been funding, because research initiatives are not financially supported in my country due to the poor economic state of affairs. However, I am convinced when one has passion for something, there will be no challenges that are impossible to face. In February 2013 I won the individual research grant from our University student association that enabled me to study the effect of respiration in the biofeedback mode. With this money we bought necessary equipment and published 3 papers illustrating our findings within the year.
My third year at University was especially important for my future career, because I got a job in the Laboratory of Molecular Biology. After my first successful conference presentation ,in order to acquire new skills and experience, I decided to join Dr. YYYYY’s lab. I worked there for more than 4 month; however, the experience I got at that lab was definitely worth-while. Dr. YYYYY assigned me to do bacteriological analysis for the local clinic the laboratory had contract with. That really taught me to be responsible. Another task I had in the lab was to test in vitro the activity of new probiotic drug Dr. YYYYY intended to make. The drug is now being successfully sold across the country. In addition to the successful project realization, I was able to present my conference paper “Antimicrobial properties of new synbiotic biological preparations enteronormin and enteronormin-detox” . In addition to the participation in the international conference, I learned many lab technics ranging from electrophoresis to mice dissection
After years of research, I have no problems with deciding what I want to work on next. In particular, I am interested in Neural Engineering. This September, being in Vice-Chancellor’s office, I met a last year physics student with ambitions similar to mine. Now, we work on implications of lasers in cerebral blood flow imaging. Also, I spent lots of time in the lab in the Faculty of Physics, broadening my knowledge of basic principles of engineering. Although not having broad research experience in this field, generally, combination of Physics and Neuroscience is what I would be happy to work on. I am really interested in the works of prof. AA and BB and I would be happy to become a part of their research team.
Despite the fact that I will have a medical degree, I want to make a scientist career. During future years of intensive education and research, I plan to do my best in becoming a world-class scientist in the field of Neuroscience. Also, I am sure that with all my knowledge, experience and enthusiasm, I will make a valuable investment to your university.

Lyu
Forum Admin

Непрочитанное сообщение Lyu » Вт ноя 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Большой какой тред... Я не читала первые 3 поста, но всё же решила покритиковать последний draft (извините, если повторюсь с другими ораторами).
>>I want to become a Neuroscience Ph.D. student in University of ***.
Мне не нравится такое начало... Все до единого, кто прислал application в Neuroscience департмент University of ***, этого хотят.
>>making science
Я такой фразы ни разу не видела. Знаю "make sense", но "science"...
>>I am thrilled to know that with every new project I am opening something...
Очень необоснованно. Где доказательства, что Вы что-то открываете? Открыть что-то новое - это очень даже круто, не все могут. Да и вообще говоря, открываете Вы что-то или нет, зависит от проекта... Странная фраза, я Вам "Не верю!"(с)
>>presented my papers at annual international conferences in Uzhgorod as well as submitted them to the journals
Опять мне не нравится. Американские профессора с трепетом относятся к публикациям, поэтому о них нужно писать точно. Да и "submitted" не равно "accepted". Надо бы про статьи писать не вскользь, а поподробнее (столько-то и такие-то статьи приняты в локальный журнал, столько-то в национальный и т.п.). Для меня это предложение звучит несколько нахально. Как бы Вы говорите "да сабмитил я тысячи своих статей и каждый год презентовал". Не надо так (ИМХО).
>>Maybe the only obstacle that hindered our research
А в каком плане-то hindered? На конференциях выступал, в журналах публиковался... В чём hindrance? Где логика?
>>challenges that are impossible to face
А не "complete" ли? "Face" - это вроде как "встретить". Но это уже к лингвистам.
>>published 3 papers
То же самое, что я написала про статьи выше.
>>I worked there for more than 4 month; however, the experience I got at that lab was definitely worth-while.
Вы как сами переводите это предложение на русский язык? Я: "Я работал там более 4 месяцев, однако этот опыт того стоил." Почему вторая часть противопоставляется первой? Может, всё-таки не "however", а "and"?
>>I was able to present my conference paper “Antimicrobial..."
Где презентовали-то? Какая именно конференция? Почему предыдущие статьи описываются пачками, а эта с названием и отдельно?
>>dissection
Точку забыли после этого слова.
>>After years of research
Ну что это такое... Не каждый профессор так про себя скажет...
>>physics
С заглавной буквы, насколько я знаю.
>>Vice-Chancellor’s office
Vice-Chancellor чего?
>>After years of research.. (весь абзац)
Разбить на 2 и переписать. Начало и конец об одном, середина - о другом. Начните с того, что в сентябре Вы познакомились с физиками, а вот про годы ресёрча и интерес в работах профессоров АА и ВВ - это уже в другой абзац, где Вы подводите итог, почему Вы годны для PhD программы и их лабораторий.
>>Faculty of Physics
Что-то мне намекает, что это всё-таки "Department of Physics"
>>Despite the fact that I will have a medical degree, I want to make a scientist career.
Всех медиков опустили. :D Вы полагаете, что среди них нет учёных?
>>Also, I am sure that with all my knowledge, experience and enthusiasm, I will make a valuable investment to your university.
Неубедительно. Замените конец на что-то в духе, что Вы сможете успешно закончить PhD программу.

Vesta87.87

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Чт ноя 07, 2013 10:16 am

Про challenge:
Вот вам из словаря цитата, с какими глаголами употреблять:
VERB + CHALLENGE be, pose, present | face, meet, respond to, rise to, take on/up:
The gallery has risen to the challenge of exhibiting the works of young artists. He has taken on some exciting new challenges with this job.

CHALLENGE + VERB face sb:
the challenges facing nurses in casualty

Ответить