Personal Statement

Свои творения - на суд общественности

Модератор: Max

Vesta87.87
Откуда: Barnaul-> Flagstaff, AZ -> Oxford, MS -> Boston, MA

Personal Statement

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Пт ноя 29, 2013 1:29 pm

Люди, гляньте плиз! Мне жутко не нравится, но не знаю, что не так. 500 слов лимит. На данный момент 478 слов. Вот задание:
How have your background and life experiences, including cultural, geographical, financial, educational or other opportunities or challenges, motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree at the University of Michigan? For example, if you grew up in a community where educational, cultural, or other opportunities were either especially plentiful or especially lacking, you might discuss the impact this had on your development and interests. This should be a discussion of the journey that has led to your decision to seek a graduate degree.

****На доработке****
Последний раз редактировалось Vesta87.87 Пт ноя 29, 2013 2:27 pm, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

future

Re: Personal Statement

Непрочитанное сообщение future » Пт ноя 29, 2013 2:22 pm

Слушай, мне не то чтобы "жутко не нравится", но от твоего сопа я в восторге, а тут как-то нет :unknown: И я как раз меньше по языку, больше по содержанию :D
Я не увидела именно "journey that has led to your decision to seek a graduate degree". Journey, мне кажется, должно быть чем-то более хронологическим, последовательным и текучим. Сильно не понравился в контексте этого последний абзац. По смыслу ясно, что ты решила получать дегри, чтобы приносить пользу, но по построению абзаца - ты рассказываешь о том, что будет после окончания journey, а не о том, что тебя привело к решению поступать.
Vesta87.87 писал(а):I credit my multilingualism to my determination and perseverance.
Это слишком резко для начала. То есть сразу такой хук справа и апперкот слева, меня лично это бы оттолкнуло. Плюс просят обсудить все же background and life experiences, а не только твои достижения. То есть здесь чуть меньший нужен упор на тебя и чуть больший - на окружение. А тут сразу - "Я крута, и только посмейте мне противоречить!" :girl_devil:
Vesta87.87 писал(а):Additionally, I was able to discover a new facet of linguistics that I never studied before, which is interaction between language and identity in written and spoken discourse.
Опять же, как на это повлияло окружение?
Vesta87.87 писал(а):However, on my way to revealing what areas of linguistics I find worth exploring and why I want to pursue a PhD degree I faced many challenges, including financial and educational ones.
Не могу сказать, почему, но мне это предложение показалось каким-то громоздким по построению. Наверное, это из-за "what areas" и "why I want" в качестве однородных членов предложения.
Vesta87.87 писал(а):Since my parents could not afford to pay for my education, I had to use all my intellectual potential to get into one of the best linguistics departments
Круто, что он one of the best, но здесь это неуместно. Как-то типа "У моих родителей не было денег на хлеб, поэтому я бросила все силы на добывание черной икры" :D
Vesta87.87 писал(а):five years of my undergraduate work
А у них не возникнет вопроса про "пять лет"? У них же андеград - это бакалаврские четыре года, не?
Vesta87.87 писал(а): I knew that studying hard to maintain the status of an excellent student to be funded by the government would be my main priority.
Не связано ни с предыдущим, ни с последующим предложениями.
Vesta87.87 писал(а):However, my passion revolved around the field of applied linguistics and in particular, around the relationship between discourse and identity issues.
Как на это повлияли life experiences?

В общем, моя основная мысль в том, что нужно убрать ударение со своих личных достижений и показать, что в твоей жизни и бэкграунде всяком тебе помогло и что жутко мешало, но ты справилась. Я бы переписала с чистого листа, не копируя куски из сопа, потому что там-то как раз ударение исключительно на тебе, и эти куски задают тон всему персонал стейтменту.
У меня был родственник, который учил тригонометрию до тех пор, пока у него не обвисли усы, а когда все выучил, явилась какая-то морра и съела его. Да, и после он лежал в морровом брюхе, такой умненький!

Vesta87.87

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Пт ноя 29, 2013 2:24 pm

Эх...Спасибо, Ира! Вот чувствую, что что-то не то. Буду значит думать в другом направлении... :D

future

Непрочитанное сообщение future » Пт ноя 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Пожалуйста. Хорошо, если помогла :)
У меня был родственник, который учил тригонометрию до тех пор, пока у него не обвисли усы, а когда все выучил, явилась какая-то морра и съела его. Да, и после он лежал в морровом брюхе, такой умненький!

Vesta87.87

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Пт дек 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Ребятки, гляньте, плиз кому не лень. 500 слов моего бреда. Завтра дедлайн...Добавить ничего нельзя-уже лимит. Убрать можно :D

I credit my multilingualism to my determination and perseverance. Born and raised in monolingual Russian family where nobody spoke any foreign languages, I made it my choice and goal to speak other languages and understand other cultures. I have never taken knowledge of any language – native or foreign- for granted and always considered it a privilege. Being a native speaker of Russian, I was able to develop a communicative competence in two foreign languages - English and German and make them an integral part of me. In fact, the educational and cultural experiences that I have gained over the last six years have greatly contributed to my desire of pursuing a PhD degree at the University of Michigan.
As any undergraduate student at the Linguistic Institute in Barnaul, I studied only British English from text books without any access to the authentic spoken language. Being a member of an imagined community of British English learners, I aspired to learn more about the American culture and American English. However, I could not go to the United States due to a poor financial situation in my family. I was lucky to participate in the program “Camp Counselors USA” when my mother took a loan from the bank and made my dream come true. In the summer of 2007, I was enjoying my job as a counselor at a girl scout camp in Minnesota. That experience helped me not only improve my language skills and get to know the American culture, but also learn to get along with people of different ages as well as language, cultural, and social backgrounds.
As an individual who studied linguistics, I believed that studying foreign languages is impossible without immersion in the verbal environment. Although by the age of twenty I spoke almost fluent English, I felt linguistically immature because of the inadequate knowledge of German. As a result, I interrupted my undergraduate studies and went to Germany to participate in “Au-pair Deutschland” program in 2010. While in Germany, I noticed that the language context I was in and my prior experiences in America were shaping my new identity. It was the initial point when I began contemplating the issues of language and identity interactions in written and spoken discourse.
As I was working on several research projects on narrative and discourse analysis in my final year of studies, I began considering a graduate degree in this area. With limited areas of specialization for graduate students at the Linguistic Institute in Barnaul, I could not continue further research there. That forced me to seek graduate schools offering master’s programs in applied linguistics. My determination and a strong desire to continue research in the area of identity and discourse brought me to NAU and its MA TESL program where I successfully completed one academic year. Due to the lack of funds I had to interrupt the program; yet I did not give up my dream to get a PhD degree in Linguistics.
It has been my goal to do something useful for the community I live in. That is why after I get my PhD degree in the USA, I am planning to return to Russia. One of my career objectives is to get a teaching position at the Linguistic Institute in Barnaul to share the knowledge I gained and make a difference in the lives of my students, opening them new facets of linguistics that are not studied there.
Последний раз редактировалось Vesta87.87 Пт дек 06, 2013 1:59 pm, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

Maxim

Непрочитанное сообщение Maxim » Пт дек 06, 2013 1:56 pm

[quote="Vesta87.87"]
As I working on several research projects on narrative and discourse analysis in my final year of studies, I began considering a graduate degree in this area./quote]
As I *was* working?

Vesta87.87

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Пт дек 06, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks! Исправила :D

future

Непрочитанное сообщение future » Пт дек 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Чудесно, просто чудесно :claping: :claping: :claping:
Я бы, наверное, убрала последний абзац, потому что в задании про планы не спрашивают. Других замечаний нет :so_happy:

Vesta87.87

Непрочитанное сообщение Vesta87.87 » Пт дек 06, 2013 2:07 pm

Точно? Спасибо, Ир. Вроде старалась сильно достижения превратить в свои steps по осмыслению плана по поступлению)

future

Непрочитанное сообщение future » Пт дек 06, 2013 2:25 pm

У тебя получилось :) Общее ощущение теперь как именно от personal statement'а. Даже несмотря на все то же начало :D

Ответить