Statement of Personal History Electrical Engineering

Свои творения - на суд общественности

Модератор: Max

whatsuup

Statement of Personal History Electrical Engineering

Непрочитанное сообщение whatsuup » Вс дек 22, 2013 9:10 am

добрый день...на самом деле неожиданный документ, который оказалось надо подать.
Почитайте, пожалуйста, подскажите что исправить: не только содержания, но и грамматика/орфография (что больше всего и интересует).

Задание:
In an essay, discuss how your personal background informs your decision to pursue a graduate degree. Please include any educational, familial, cultural, economic, or social experiences, challenges, or opportunities relevant to your academic journey; how you might contribute to social or cultural diversity within your chosen field; and/or how you might serve educationally underrepresented segments of society with your degree.

Мое эссе:
Engineering has always been something special to me. You may well ask who has inspired me to become an engineer.
In fact, my grandfather, Ivan, the person I have always looked up to, graduated from Lenin’s Power Engineering University in 1968 and worked for a local plant for thirty years as an Electrical Engineer. Ivan first showed me how to operate a solder gun. Thanks to him at the age of 6 I learnt how to make the bulb emit the light. Fortunately, he is still alive and always reminds me that I should work as hard as possible while young. Sometimes he reminisces about his so-called “second love” and tells different stories about his amazing experience when electronics only was taking its genesis. Grandfather often advices me to read The Art of Electronics which I find, probably, the always topical reference book for any person working in my field.
What I love about electronics is the fact that you almost always see the result of your work. Unlike mathematics, in its general sense, you may not only solve the problem, acquire the answer to the equation, but also check whether your logic and calculations were correct, just connecting the scope. While writing codes for microcontrollers you expect to behave the system in a certain way: use external interruption, send some data via USART or SPI, light the LED, and you may always see the result outside of the computer, i.e. on the board. In my opinion it is more challenging than developing internet databases or creating web sites.
I hope that all what I am or will be working with will help the society one day. Actually, it does not really matter what country it will belong to, the main goal is to invent something that will help, but will not harm – that is the reason why science exists. I also believe that I have what it take to become a successful scientist. No one from my department has even tried to apply to US graduate schools, and there are not many Russian Electrical Engineers studying abroad, but those who do usually become prominent scientists. In case of my successful admission, I will contribute to social and cultural diversity by being, perhaps, only one Russian in the lab.
So far all my researches have finished with positive results at the end, and I am sure I have an inner sense what direction to move towards when the situation seems to be deplorable. I have strong incentive to advance as far as I can in field of Electrical Engineering. I am certain that application to XXXXXXXXXXXXXX is the best possible step to accomplish it and I would regard my admission not only as a great honor but also as a great responsibility, an obligation to work hard and not to let my grandfather down.

заранее спасибо за прочтение)

Cipochka

Re: Statement of Personal History Electrical Engineering

Непрочитанное сообщение Cipochka » Вс дек 22, 2013 9:24 am

whatsuup - чтобы ответы были более подходящими к твоей ситуации, напиши задание для Statement of Purpose (или что-то про Research) в этот же университет. В этом случае тебя поправят, если что-то не в тот документ вставил. Это важно. Если конечно ты должен два документы делать.
встретимся в Диптауне... все ИМХО

whatsuup

Непрочитанное сообщение whatsuup » Пн дек 23, 2013 5:03 am

Cipochka писал(а):whatsuup - чтобы ответы были более подходящими к твоей ситуации, напиши задание для Statement of Purpose (или что-то про Research) в этот же университет. В этом случае тебя поправят, если что-то не в тот документ вставил. Это важно. Если конечно ты должен два документы делать.
да, кроме этого необходимо еще и SoP
вот задание:

Please state your specific interests with respect to the program to which you are applying. The following information should be included in this statement:
1. Your intended area of specialization, career objectives, and research interests and experience.
2. A brief occupational resume if any significant period has elapsed since you were last enrolled in an academic institution. (This should be submitted in the Additional Info Section at the bottom of this page.)
3. Academic awards, prizes, honors, fellowships or other distinctions you have received.
4. Work experience or activities pertinent to your graduate goals.
5. If pertinent to your proposed field of study, please list your publications and any scholarly or professional organizations in which you hold membership.

Cipochka

Непрочитанное сообщение Cipochka » Пн дек 23, 2013 8:42 am

Я по существу, англиский, использование лексики я не критикую.

По-мне - сложная задача для автора. В сочинении практически нет ничего, что увеличивало бы шансы. Ну разве что правда про маленький процент русских (но я что-то сомневаюсь, разве что именно на этом департаменте).

А что включить, чтобы изменить ситуацию, даже не представляю.

- И дедушка у вас с высшим образованием (в америке они какое-то минимальное преимущество дают тем, тко первый в семье решается на MS/PhD)
- И пол у вас мужской
- И наверно ни к каким меньшинствам не относитесь...А может вы представитель какого нибудь этноса?
- Наукой в России ничего не мешало заниматься...

Очень уж специфическое у вас задание для этого документа.
встретимся в Диптауне... все ИМХО

Десятник-аспирант

Непрочитанное сообщение Десятник-аспирант » Пн дек 23, 2013 9:20 am

Толи у меня глаз замыленный, толи ошибок на этот раз действительно не много.
for a local plant - лучше factory, plant это всё же больше с растениями ассоциируется
The Art of Electronics - а ты уверен, что в Америке знают, о какой книге речь? Может лучше уточнить, что, мол, самая известная книга в России.
you expect to behave the system in a certain way - порядок слов не верный, надо you expect your system to behave in a certain way
outside of the computer - of не надо
I hope that - лучше без that, иначе выходит очень коварная ошибка ;) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 141AAP2NGu
I have what it takeS
I have A strong incentive
that MY/THE application to

А в общем и целом неплохо. И действительно такое сочинение едва ли прибавит шансов. Впрочем, человек честно про себя написал без фантазирования, а там уже пусть комиссия решает. Ну хоть грамотно написано, и то хорошо, не будет негатива.

Задание для сопа - тривиальное. В твоём сопе всё это есть вроде.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

whatsuup

Непрочитанное сообщение whatsuup » Пн дек 23, 2013 1:10 pm

Cipochka писал(а): - Наукой в России ничего не мешало заниматься...
хм...может об этом стоит упомянуть?..
мб оно для этого и сделано?
отличная возможность написать зачем зачем за границей ищу крова

whatsuup

Непрочитанное сообщение whatsuup » Пн дек 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Десятник-аспирант писал(а): for a local plant - лучше factory, plant это всё же больше с растениями ассоциируется
а разве factory - не фабрика? что уже пищевая промышленность
Десятник-аспирант писал(а): The Art of Electronics - а ты уверен, что в Америке знают, о какой книге речь? Может лучше уточнить, что, мол, самая известная книга в России.
не уверен) надо уточнить..может просто добавить авторов.
Десятник-аспирант писал(а): you expect to behave the system in a certain way - порядок слов не верный, надо you expect your system to behave in a certain way
outside of the computer - of не надо
I hope that - лучше без that, иначе выходит очень коварная ошибка ;) http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 141AAP2NGu
I have what it takeS
I have A strong incentive
that MY/THE application to
спасибо, Вань)

Десятник-аспирант

Непрочитанное сообщение Десятник-аспирант » Пн дек 23, 2013 2:32 pm

whatsuup писал(а):а разве factory - не фабрика? что уже пищевая промышленность
Тогда уж лучше конкретизировать - manufacturing plant.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ответить